Tuesday, 11 July 2017

Behind the Talk... (11th July)

I went for a walk down to the dairy today to buy some milk and bread. Dad couldn’t do it because he was busy with the car - we crashed into another car the other day.

As I walked to the dairy, I noticed the change in the weather. Just ten minutes ago it was raining, as it normally does during the wintertime, but as I walked...it was sunny! If you took away the sight of the wet ground and the muddy grass, it almost felt like summer! I couldn’t believe it!

And it was getting a bit hot, too, so I hurried to the dairy on Coperteen Road to get the two items. Mum gave me enough money to buy at least two milk bottles and two loaves of bread. The plastic bag’s for free, but a friend of mine told me a week ago that sometimes the clerk changes the price of the plastic bag to around, say, 10 cents. Sure, that’s not that big of a deal, but still, why put a price on something free?

I walked in and the first thing I noticed was the clerk talking with a man quite older about smoking. I clearly saw that the clerk was trying to convince the man to stop. And the man knew that. I walked down the aisle to the bread rack and grabbed two loaves of bread. I went to the refrigerator to grabbed two bottles of milk. Struggling to hold the whole lot, I stumbled to the counter, and stood behind the man, who was still having a conversation with the clerk.
“You see, it’s just...calming, you know…” the man said,
“But, mate,” the clerk said, gesturing to the cupboard that contained the packets, hidden away, “we see you come in every day, and that’s worrying to think about. And you come for cigarettes, too, and you know the harmful effects it has.”
“Yeah...I know.” the man said flatly, looking down. He paused. He then slammed his fist on the counter. “Forget this, then. You’ve lost a regular.” the man walked out of the dairy with a stern look.

No comments:

Post a Comment