Great Expectations - Chapter One
By Charles Dickens
CHAPTER ONE SUMMARY
1. What is Pip's Christian name?
In our version of the story, they don’t tell us this in chapter one.
2. Where does Pip meet an escaped convict?
At the Graveyard
3. What does the convict ask Pip to bring to him?
Whittles (food) and a file
4. How much older than Pip is his sister?
His sister is 20 years older than him.
5. What does Pip's sister call the cane she uses to beat Pip?
In our version of the story, Pip’s sister gives him a dose or Tar-Water, which tastes like mud.
6. Where does Pip hide the bread he plans to bring to the convict?
In our version of the story, Pip takes the bread straight to the convict.